Moodle importation files - Pre-departure: Module 4 - Health and Wellbeing
Module 4 Health and Wellbeing
This capsule will provide you with general advice on how to prepare for the health and wellbeing-related challenges you may encounter while abroad. Integrating into your new environment will be much easier if you have an idea of what to expect, and how to deal with it before you leave the comfort and support of your home. It is important to remember that you are not alone in your study abroad journey. Many students have experienced the same worries and problems on their mobility, so we have put together some helpful tools and information to help you gather key information relating to your mobility and support your academic, social and cultural integration process.
- Step 1: Introduction.
- Step 2: How does an international experience affect health and wellbeing?
- Step 3: Preparing yourself.
- Step 4: Safeguard health and wellbeing while abroad.
- Wellbeing: The state of being comfortable, healthy or happy
- Physical health:The state of your physical body and how well it is operating - directly related to mental health as they influence each other
- Mental health: Our emotional, psychological, and social wellbeing - directly related to physical health as they influence each other
- Travel insurance: A plan that protects you from certain financial risks and losses that can occur while traveling
- European Health Insurance Card: A free card that gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in any of the 27 EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland under the same conditions and at the same cost (free in some countries) as people insured in that country; this is not an alternative to travel insurance
- Vulnerability: The quality or state of being exposed to the possibility of being attacked or harmed, either physically or emotionally
- Empathy: The ability to understand and share the feelings of another
- Acculturation: An exchange process between people belonging to different cultural groups, which leads to cultural, linguistic, religious and psychological changes
- Resilience: The capacity to recover quickly from difficulties
Module 4 Health and Wellbeing
- SECTION 1 - Introduction
- This section will frame mobility positively but also make clear that mobility presents challenges to your health and well-being, and provide you with the tools to become more resilient. After completing this section you will be aware of the challenges presented by an international experience to your health and well-being.
- SECTION 2 - How does an international experience affect health and wellbeing?
- This section will help you to recognise and anticipate factors that may impact your health and wellbeing while abroad. Seek out the different points to remember and some useful strategies for dealing with them in the two picture-based exercises below. One focuses on mental health and the other on physical. However, keep in mind, your physical and mental wellbeing are interconnected, and it is important to take care of both!
- SECTION 3 - Preparing yourself
- This section will help you to determine what essential information related to your health and wellbeing you should gather before you leave your home country. It will prompt you to think about how you record and share essential medical information, and to research the availability of various supports and resources at your host destination.
- SECTION 4 - Safeguard your Health & Wellbeing while abroad: our survival guide!
- This section will prepare you to deal with different types of scenarios or situations to build your confidence and resilience for encountering them in real life. This will help you to protect your wellbeing and maintain a strong, positive outlook. Students typically go through similar kinds of stress right before their experience abroad.
- SECTION 5 - Planning Ahead for Less Stress
- How can that help your health and wellbeing? As you adjust to your new surroundings and all the energy and resilience they will require of you, there are still many aspects of your day that you will need to be ready for, but also many activities that you will have to prioritize.
- SECTION 5 - Resources
- Here are links to resources that you can use to deepen your knowledge of the subject that we talked about.
Download all the module here...